Sunday, September 23, 2007

Teaching with Blogs

The resources make my mind whirl!! I SO wish I was back in the classroom!! I found a blog-site (?) for a kindergarten class- they had celebrated Dr. Suess's birthday and had pictures and quotes from kids. How FUN!! I also found the Time for Kids website listed on some resource page. I loved the magazine and recommend it to teachers whenever I get a chance. But they have the questions that kids can answer and then it tallies the results and shows the information in a graphic (circle graph, etc.).
I am wondering if I can hook up some of my teachers with some classes in other counties, or even within the county.
The penpals of the 21st century! I loved having pen pals when I was growing up!! I have a workshop this Wednesday with all of the fifth grade science teachers in the county (about 15- not a HUGE county!). What kinds of reservations are they going to have to having students post their findings? (all classrooms in the county are actually connected to the internet- not the fastest server in the world, but everyone IS connected).
I think I am still not getting it with regard to finding other people's bogs- and/or how to post a comment. Remember- I am old! (yes, I am having a birthday this week- kind-ve reminds me of the increasing years of experience!)

2 comments:

Nan Lujan said...

I think your teachers would love to see these resources. You could show them the example from the elementary side of Teaching with Blogs and show them blogmeister. It might be something a few of them would like to try out with their classes.

Ingrid Meyrial said...

Yes, I was thinking of penpals not to long ago. That is such a great form of authentic writing. I am ESL so I work with small groups- 3 or 4 3rd graders at a time. I would love to have penpals for them!